Tools like macros and keyboard shortcuts enable the user to perform multiple actions with a single click or key press. A series of actions can be recorded once, then played back whenever necessary. For a person with very limited mobility, this automation can greatly speed up common tasks, from typing to modifying system settings.
- Provide hotkeys that perform actions with fewer keypresses
- Provide Macros that re-play a set of pre-recorded actions with a single keypress
- Provide shortcuts to help users jump to the content they need
- Aid the user in creating personalized hotkeys, macros, and shortcuts
Discussion by Disabilities
Blind and Low Vision
- By automating tasks that are difficult to do without vision, people who are blind or have low vision can increase their computing speed and efficiency (while reducing frustration)
- People with certain cognitive disabilities may have difficulty remembering or completing complex actions, so one-click automations for these tasks may increase independence and efficiency.
- By reducing the number of necessary keypresses, automated tasks may allow people with physical disabilities to use computers more easily and with less fatigue.
Please note that these products are not necessarily endorsed by RtF, but represent the range of available options.
Open Source and free
These products are free and their source code may be modified with few restrictions.
Free, not necessarily open source
These products are free to use, but may have strict restrictions on viewing and modifying source code.
- Hotkeys – QLiner
- HotKicks – U. of Bayreuth, Germany
- ShortKeys – Insight Software Solutions
- Speed Typing – Two Pilots
- ZenKey – ZenCode
Commercial, with free trial
These products are free to try for a limited period of time or with limited functionality. They must be purchased for full functionality.
- KeyChange – Intes
- Penfriend – PenFriend Ltd, Cricksoft
- TextExpander – Smile On My Mac
- ToggleMouse – Toggle Software
- TypeIt4Me – Ettore Software
Commercial, no free trial
These products must be purchased to be used, and did not offer free trials at the time of posting.
- Abbreviate – Words Plus (Words+)
- Hot Keyboard – Hot Keyboard
- Hotkeycontrol – InchWest
- Instant Text – Textware
- WordAid – ACE Centre
- HOTKEYCONTROL 7 – INCHWEST
Contributions & Discussion
Any corrections, suggestions, or additions to this page? Please let us know by emailing Contribution@RaisingTheFloor.net with [MasterList] in the subject line.
You can also join the discussion on the Access Feature Master List Google Group.